Guardian Families are such an important part of our program here at Starlight Ridge We select our families very carefully. It’s our belief that ALL dogs should be raised with their forever families. We never kennel our breeding dogs. That’s one of the things that sets our program apart from so many! In our guardian program, the dog or puppy will live with you and visit Starlight Ridge only when: required testing needs to be done, when it is time to be bred or when she is ready to have her puppies. We cover all expenses related to health testing and breeding. We also pay to have her spayed when she has had 3-4 litters.
- Guardian family must live within a 200 mile radius of Grants Pass.
- Guardian family must feed Life’s Abundance, grain free dog food approved by breeder.
- Provide a safe environment that includes a fenced yard or an invisible fence.
- Guardian must notify Starlight Ridge as soon as girl comes into heat and absolutely keep unaltered males away. If girl is to be bred, transport her to Starlight Ridge (or stud’s breeder, if that is closer) for approximately 1 week and then pick her up. Transport expecting female to Starlight Ridge 7 days prior to delivery and pick her up approximately 6 weeks after delivery.
- If Guardian Family has one of our males, they are not to allow said male to breed to any females outside of our program.
- If receiving a puppy, guardian family is to provide basic obedience training at approximately 4 to 6 months of age– a group class or with an individual trainer. Guardian family also must make sure dog is leashed trained, potty trained and crate trained and ensure that the dog/puppy is well socialized.
- Guardian family needs to have a willingness to accept and follow Starlight Ridge’s recommendations for the dog/puppy’s basic health care and veterinarian care, such as vaccine schedules, the use of certain medications, etc.
- A willingness to maintain open lines of communications with Starlight Ridge in any matter related to the dog/puppy.
- Guardian must notify Starlight Ridge of new contact information if there is any change in telephone number or address.
- Upon completion/fulfillment of the guardian home contract, dog will be spay/neutered and legal ownership will be transferred from Starlight Ridge Australian Labradoodles to guardian home.